RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE MEETING OF THE AGRIC SUB-COMMITTEE OF THE KWAEBIBIREM MUNICIPAL ASSEMBLY HELD ON WEDNESDAY, 10TH MAY 2023 AT THE MUNICIPAL AGRIC OFFICE,KADE.
Selected Honorable members of the Agric Sub-committee and the Assistant Works Engineer of Kwaebibirem Municipal Assembly paid a visit to Ghana Oil Palm Development Company (GOPDC) following recommendations by the Agric Sub-Committee at a Stakeholders meeting between GOPDC, the Traditional Elders of Kwae and Atobriso, and the Youth.
At the end of the Field visit, the following recommendations were made for consideration to GOPDC, the Traditional Elders of Kwae and Representatives of the Youth at a short meeting:
- The Hon. Members recommended that the trenches should be dug deeper into the plantation; at least one row of palm trees be should be sacrificed as the trench was too close to the road.
- The Sub-Committee recommended that sand dug out of the trenches should be heaped at side of the road to serve as a barrier between road and trenches in order to protect unaware passers-by.
- Thirdly, the Sub-Committee recommended to the Elders to begin process for proper documentation to protect the interests of the Communities and renegotiate agreement with GOPDC for land lease at the end of current lease holdings.
- The Sub-Committee also recommended that the dam should be opened so that the Bobiri flows as it is breeding mosquitoes in its current state and emanating foul stench to nearby communities.
- The Sub-Committee again suggested that GOPDC should beef up and tighten their Security Detail at vulnerable sites. The Elders were also tasked to appoint a watchdog to patrol the communities to help identify suspected thieves giving the whole youth a bad name.
- The Sub-Committee recommended that GOPDC should collaborate with Asuom Police to embark on swoops to round up suspecting misfits in the nearby towns to curb menace.
- The Sub-Committee also recommended to the Traditional Elders to address the youth of Kwae to keep calm, desist from confrontations and allow GOPDC continue their operations peacefully.
- Lastly and most importantly, the Committee commended GOPDC on the contributions to the surrounding communities as part of their Social and Corporate Responsibilities as demanded by the Law, however, the Subcommittee urged the Company to do more.
At the end of the meeting, the Traditional elders agreed to hold a durbar with Odewuhene and members of the community to address issues and promote peaceful coexistence between the Company and community. The CRO on behalf of the GOPDC also assured the Subcommittee recommendations would be taken into consideration and embarked on.